Monday, October 09, 2006

Procrastination and Panic

I've had good intentions of starting on my Introduction and First Chapter for a good two weeks now... but all in vain. I cant seem to overcome the twin temptations of sleep and sheer laziness... yes I have succumbed...! Succumbed to their vile joys and the base comforts they offer..! Ah.. woe is me!
I Got some pretty good stuff from the net on definitions of what a blog really is. I'm not too willing to go with the traditional "personal webpag with entries in reverse chronological order" definition. I think the blog is definitely something more... Any ideas anyone??
Anyway I have ambitious plans to streamline my reading and begin a draft of my first chapter by Friday. Shall put it up for comments by then...
By the way - bloggers on Kottu/other blog communities.. shall have a questionnaire up that I would like you to answer... please???? That too soon... depending on my ability to grapple with and triumph over my need to sleep.

3 comments:

TuanASitOnDeez said...

Let me understand this ... your thesis is about regularly updating a diary on the www?
Well, here's my take on it. Unless you're really popular (which ofcourse you are to the few people you know <-- joke), or are a super model and every guy in the face of this planet wants to know what you're upto (just to imagine things when they're bored) or have something really interesting that people care about (I doubt that <-- another joke), weblogging (or blogging) is more like a reach out to the world to force info about yourself to the world since in escence, a blog is basically your life OUT THERE!.
Ofcourse, it coule help in certain instances ... err ... like when people actually are so interested in what you're upto. Or ofcourse I haven't covered the other subjects that blogs could cover, so you can ignore the past 235 letters neatly arranged into words/centences (there's no need to go back and count, I'm wrong).

Enough of my rant...

Ayeshea said...

Hi Azmin...
No my thesis is not really about people updating diaries on the www! :-)
I'm looking at how bloggers organise themselves into communities and also at the genre of the blog itself.. can it still be considered "part" of a webpage?
Thanks muchly (yes yes I know..) for the comments... especially the one on popularity! Question: Do you read other people's blogs?/Maintain one yourself?

halwis said...

The first 11 1/2 months usually pass by in blissful slumber and complaints about the work load… with only about 2000 words being written... then the remaining 18000 in words are wrenched out usually in the last two weeks.
As for the definitions, perhaps you could see how the definitions themselves have evolved… and continue to evolve… I mean, now you can post videos on your blog, and do it all on the go using a mobile phone…
One of the most important aspects blogging is that it has ‘democratised’ the media… individuals like you and me have a platform through which we can address the world… of course individuals don’t yet have the same standing as popular media networks, and they may never have that, but at least this gives space for almost all the different opinions to be voiced. Also, I think news and videos of the Tsunami for example, were first published on personal blogs way before the popular media ever got there.
Besides, blogs like http://www.ahmadinejad.ir/ (the Iranian president’s personal blog) portray a very interesting power-struggle in terms of shaping public perceptions… the power for which, until now was solely in the hands of global media networks, but now is leaking into the hands of individuals…
The point I am trying to make is that a blog often represents a ‘mass media revolution’ in the making, rather than a collection of rants of individuals…